Wednesday, March 10, 2010

What’s so funny?

You woke up chortling to yourself this morning, Tater Tot. This was the first time I’ve heard you laugh, and it was intoxicating! We should all wake up that way, laughing and excited to greet the day. This is pretty typical of you—you wake up sweet as can be and have several hours of total pleasantry before you consider fussing. Sometime after 7 PM your mood often takes a turn, with some crankiness here and there—but that’s pretty typical of babies, from what I understand. My sister calls it the “witching hour” and says she always sees families out walking with their little ones in the stroller trying to soothe them when the tension gets high right around this time.



We’re still trying to figure out what’s typical of most babies and what’s specific to you. You managed to cut your face up pretty well the other night. I try to keep your nails trimmed and filed to avoid such shenanigans, but I guess a stray one got away from me and during the night you managed to slice both your cheek and the bridge of your nose, right between your eyes. The cuts looked awful in the morning, vividly red. But within a few hours they were almost imperceptible. I’m not sure if all babies heal that quickly or if it’s just you!

The diaper trials continue. This week we’re determining which cloth diaper option will work best for us in the long haul. At the moment I’m a BumGenius fan, closely followed by FuzziBunz. But I need to use the full assortment in the trial package we received from Jillian’s Drawers for another week or so and wash them several more times to really get a read on what works best for us. I haven’t even attempted the Chinese or Indian prefolds with a cover yet! Who knows—maybe they’ll be easier and more effective than I think. I’m happy to say you haven’t worn a disposable diaper in two days! Woo hoo! Now if I can just get our composter working again, we’ll be well on our way to being a greener family.

You continue to be well on YOUR way to rolling over from back to tummy!  You were trying so hard this afternoon, and having so much fun.









3 comments:

  1. Love, love, love! Those dipes! Aren't they the cutest :)

    I am addicted to Blueberry diapers, though they are more expensive, the prints are awesome!

    Did you get the velcro? We have one BG velcro closure and after 8 months of use the velcro is in bad shape :(....just a warning!

    Let me know if you have any questions! We used prefolds and thirsties covers for the first 4 months with Clara.

    Enjoy! He's soooooo stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph, those are Gro Baby organics. Supposedly they should take a baby from newborn to toddler, but I can't really see how that would work. I don't know if it's Tate's size (14 lbs at 8 weeks) or length (long torso) or what, but I already have them on the largest settings. If I fold the top down it leaks when he pees. Maybe I'm not doing it right, I don't know--I love the concept behind the Gro Baby system, it just doesn't seem to be working for us just yet.

    I love the BumGenius pocket dipes--those are the only ones Tate hasn't leaked out of yet. But I've heard more than one person echo your statement about the velcro closures, which is a huge bummer. If you're spending that kind of money on a diaper system, you want it to last!

    I'm still on the fence about we'll use long-term. Haven't tried the Thirsties and prefolds yet. I'm nervous because Tate is a super-soaker and I'm worried he won't be contained. But if it worked for Clara, who knows?! Maybe I'll try them today. He's wearing a FuzziBunz right now, those seem to work pretty well if I double up on the inserts.

    So glad to have a cloth diaper buddy in the real world! :) I'll definitely let you know if I have questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the FB because of the leg elastics, and the adjustability (is that a word?) of them. I have yet to have any leaks with them.

    The blueberrys are expensive, but I got them on sale, and I really like the inserts. They are a mix of hemp/microfiber, and Lilah can go an entire night without leaking. Her diapers are insanely wet in the morning.

    The blueberries also seem to have a wider width than the FB and BG.

    You should also look into the BG AIO organics with snaps. Very trim and nice.

    Let me know if you need anything! Call or email...

    ReplyDelete